Walerko celebrates 60 years in business with a $500,000 dollar capital investment
The year 2012, witnessed growth to our facilities, and precision machining and inspection capabilities. We added an 8,000 square foot large part machining bay to our main building, including a semi-truck dock, and a 15-ton bridge crane for handling large parts. To meet our customer’s needs for large part and fixture inspection we purchased a Faro Laser Tracker Ion. The laser allows us to bring our inspection department to the worksite. The Laser has a distance capability of 180 feet radial and vertical, with accuracies of .0002 of an inch. With the laser, we now offer our customer’s subcontract inspection of parts at their facility and provide a geometrical dimension report.
With the recent expansion, we now have 32,000 square feet of manufacturing space to accommodate business growth opportunities. Our recent growth is part of a steady progression, from the company’s early beginnings in a garage on Okema Avenue, in Elkhart. Edward F. Walerko started his business machining experimental parts and tooling for Bendix Aerospace, in 1952. The company grew as a traditional tool and die business through the 1950s.
In 1964, Walerko built a new facility and entered into the Numerical Controlled machining of jet engine components.
During the 1970s tooling and machining customers from the automotive and machine tool industries were added to the growing aircraft market. In 1979, Walerko added its first Computer Numerical Controlled Machining Center and expanded its facility to accommodate the production machining of larger parts.
In 1990, Walerko built an addition for larger CNC mills and began to shift from the aerospace market to commercial markets, and larger part machining. During the past twenty years, the company has diversified its markets to include, automotive, construction, mining equipment, agricultural, pump, and machine tool industries.
In 2008, Walerko Tool & Engineering changed ownership to the second generation, when Edward M. Walerko completed purchasing the company, after 28 years of employment there.